We all have those movies, the ones we go to when we are bored, when we can’t work out what we want to watch, when we are sad, depressed, meh, blurg, blah and any other collection of letters that come about to us wanting a comfort movie, one we’ve watched a huge number of times before but can still watch again.
My go to movies generally change over time as new movies come out and replace old ones, but some of the tried and true movies remain in the top five pretty much forever. So here we are. My current top 5 go to movies….that I may or may not actually end up putting on today…
1. Practical Magic. My number one go to movie, I can’t count how many times I have seen this movie, I know a lot of the words and quotes and I love the characters. Sally is me.
2. The Covenant. This is a new addition to the list since Sam gave it to me, late last year or early this year, I’m not sure when but I do know it’s a movie I very much enjoy (and not just for the cute boys that makes my inner teenage self go all giggly). I must have watched at least fifteen or twenty times since she sent it to me.
3. Lara Croft: Tombraider. This has been a top since I imported it on DVD from the UK since the NZ release date was something stupid, like two months, later. Honestly could not tell you how many times I’ve watched it. It used to be a good one for watching on the exacycle. The soundtrack and a girl kicking ass…well it’s always something to motivate me just a little bit. (Honestly the soundtrack is kick ass, great for listening to at work when you want to keep yourself all grrrr and going)
4. Point Break. Do I really need to explain, if you don’t know why Point Break is a go to movie then you clearly haven’t watched it. *grins* Okay well so it might not be everyone’s cup of tea but it’s got a young Keanu, and a wickedly charismatic Patrick Swayze (still can’t really believe that he too is gone) and humour, romance, and Red Hot Chilli Pepper cameo, and surfing…what isn’t to like and love about this movie.
5. Empire Records. If you don’t know that I can quote this movie at will, or how much I adore this movie then you haven’t been paying attention. Damn the Man, save the Empire. Always play with their minds. What’s with today, today. His name isn’t Warren. Welcome to Music Town, may I service you. Shock me, shock me, shock me with that deviant behaviour. I’ll stop now shall I? I’ve been in love with this movie since I first saw it when it came out on DVD. I doubt it will ever change.
Honourable mentions go to – 10 Things I hate about you (which nearly did make the top 5, becaue well, 10 Things….), Sleeping Beauty, Rock of Ages, Enchanted, Cursed, Dracula 2000, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, The Avengers, Thor, Captain America, Underworld, Dark City, Sucker Punch, The Craft, Resident Evil, Queen of the Damned, Casino Royal, and Sleepy Hollow.